Saturday 17 May 2014

Garage workbench and what’s been going on ‘round here

It seems like forever since I’ve posted anything. I have been anxiously waiting for the weather to finally warm up. I’m happy to say that despite the overcast day, it didn’t rain.

#1 on my list of things to do is to clean up the garage, yet again. To that end I have had my eye on the plans posted by Shanty2Chic to make a workbench. The best thing about it is that I can roll it out onto my driveway where there is a lot more room than in my single car garage.

Broadview Heights - workbench

I was finally able to put my Kreg Jig to use…look closely, no screws are visible!  It took me 6 hours to build it, which is not too bad considering that I am not very experienced.

20140517_142835

the20140517_165601

I had the casters on hand, which helped to keep the cost down. They are only 3” wheels, but I think they will be ok.  If not I can replace them with larger ones. The materials cost me $72. I used melamine for the top because it cleans up easily and osb for the bottom because it’s inexpensive.

Last weekend I attended my nephews wedding in Montreal. It’s only a 6 hour drive but I’ve never been there before. I would like to go back in the summer time when things are hopping. It was pretty quiet and I didn’t have a lot of time to tour around, but there are some amazing sights to see. It’s like being in Europe, but close to home.

DSCN5198

 DSCN5199

DSCN5201

DSCN5202

DSCN5203

DSCN5205

 

I returned home from Montreal on Mother’s Day. I said hello to my kids, talked a little about my trip, asked how they were doing…I didn’t even notice what my amazing daughter had done for me; She created this cherry blossom tree on the chalkboard wall!  It took her many hours of work. I would be lying if I said no tears were shed. I was so touched and overwhelmed and grateful to be home with the two people I love most.

DSC01305

DSC01306

Tomorrow promises to be sunny and relatively warm, so I’m going to be painting my Chippendale faux bamboo chairs.  I bought a new to me glass table from Kijiji and the chairs are going to look fantastic with it. I have completed the quarter round and can’t wait to move on to my living room.

DSC01300

It’s Victoria Day weekend here which means Monday is a holiday. woo hoo!  Thank you Queen Victoria.

3 comments:

  1. great job on the work table! Love the amazing pictures and the chalk drawing your daughter did was lovely and loving. Enjoy your holiday Mel :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You daughter did a great job! Such patience!

    You finally made it top Montreal! The home I love and miss. Summer is a great time to go back with all the festivals, etc. Just for Laughs is next month.....just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the workbench. Makes me motivated to get out and make one on the next nice day. I probably have most everything already. I tend to pick up / buy things on sale or good price just in case I find a project I want to do. First time on your blog and I have been inspired. The drawing your daughter made you on the chalkboard is awesome and I can't imagine how much it meant to you. She is a special lady. Thanks again and looking forward to more inspiration! Have a blessed day - from Kathy in East Tennessee, USA.

    ReplyDelete