Friday 11 January 2013

My big project for 2013

In my dreams I have enough money to rip out my ghastly kitchen and put in a new and modern kitchen. In my dreams :) My bank account laughed at me when I suggested we should make this my goal for 2013. So instead I am going to set myself a budget, a small budget, and update my kitchen cosmetically.

The cheap way to update a kitchen is to replace the doors/drawers. Well, even that is not in my budget. I am going to trim out my existing cabinets with some mdf moulding, repaint them and live with what I have.  I stopped by HD on my way home from work today and picked up a piece of pre-primed mdf, cut it and clamped it to one of my doors.  I think it will work. 

DSCN4326

The reason I am going with a thinner moulding (it measures 1.5” x 5/8”) is because my cabinets are all different sizes. Some of them are very narrow and thick moulding would take up almost the entire door.  You will see what I mean in the attached picture.

kitchen3

So here are my plans and I hope to have everything done by my birthday in August, and I will be doing all of the work by myself.

* Add moulding to doors and repaint all cupboards. I will be updating my bifold doors on my pantry using bead board and try to get them to match.  Install new pulls.

* cut down cupboard above stove and put in an over the range microwave in stainless steel to match the existing stove.

* replace laminate countertops with butcher block from Ikea

* remove the bead board wall paper and replace it with white subway tile

* replace sink, not sure how I am going yet, hopefully an under mount. The faucet has already been replaced.

* remove broken ceramic tiled floor.  This is a heartbreaker since I only had it installed 2 years ago. My kitchen sits over my garage and it turns out the joists in the kitchen move which caused the tiles to break all over the place.  I should have known better because the tile that was here when I moved in did the same thing.

* install Allure vinyl plank flooring

* remove the crown moulding; I did not do a good job on it.  I will be repainting so I’m going to tint the ceiling paint with a slight blue and bring it down over the bulkhead to the tops of the  cabinets.

* install a new bank of drawers when I replace the flooring. My cabinet is falling apart, no better time to replace then when replacing the flooring. 

* install new lighting. I will be getting another ceiling fan in the eat in area because they work well. The lighting over the cabinet area will be replaced.

* get a new to me stainless steel fridge.

* make a panel cover out of bead board for my dishwasher.

Are you exhausted?  I am and I haven’t even started yet. *jokes*

I plan to share every step of the way with all of you. Maybe you can glean some new ideas for your own kitchen.

7 comments:

  1. Wow Mel! I'm exhausted just reading that list! You definitely have your work cut out for you, but you can do it, and we'll all be here cheering you on. I'm so excited to see how it all turns out. And I know I will definitely get some ideas for my own kitchen, which is in need of some updates as well. Good luck!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am exhausted just reading your list!! I have no doubt that you will accomplish your goals though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of the MDF AND your list of all that you plan to do in there! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that's a lot of work! Spreading it out over time makes it much less intimidating though.

    I must say, MDF paints like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have your work cut out for you, but if anyone can do it, you can! This way you know that it will turn out the way you envision it as it's your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holey Moley that's a list, but I know you will knock it out. :) It will also look fabulous when you are done. I am inspired as my kitchen is the bane of my exisistence and I have threaten many times of taking a sledghammer to it. I may just make a list of what I can do, instead of what I wished would happen. Yay for you! clap clap clap clappity clap

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added a microwave over my stove and instead of cutting the cabinet down, I found a shorter one at a yard sale for 15.00. I shortened the doors to the one I replaced. The original cabinet was painted so I just had to paint the new one. However . . . I no longer have a microwave over my stove. I bought a new stove and one night I almost dropped a glass casserole dish while removing it from the microwave. If I had, my ceramic top stove would have been toast.

    ReplyDelete