Thursday 19 April 2012

Baby shower gift

I am going to a baby shower this coming Sunday for a cousin, twice removed, that I’ve never met. She is registered but I’m not a registry kind of gal. Instead I made her something, that I think will be more meaningful.

DSC08226
She knows she is having a girl, hence the pink :)  The wood is 16” x 16” and the white frame is 5” x 7”.
I have never made one of these before and I learned some lessons along the way.

1st lesson, don’t buy laminated wood.  When I drilled the holes to cut out the hole for the frame, the veneer splintered to bits. Next time I will buy solid wood.

DSCN3286

2nd lesson, buy solid wood, then I won’t have to iron on banding, saving me a whole lot of sanding.



And the 3rd and final lesson is to pay attention to the directions on the bottle of gorilla glue. It really does expand 3 to 4 times it’s size.

The opening of the frame is 4” x 5” where she will be able to put a picture of her baby. After the baby is born, I will personalize it with her name and date of birth at the bottom.


Linking at the following parties:



Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingDIY Show Off

7 comments:

  1. very pretty, i love your gift and im sure she will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thoughtful gift! That book makes me cry every single time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't learning things fun? :P hahahah It came out really great and we would of never known of the difficulties if you weren't kind enough to share. I am sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you do the writing? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hope so!
    I have so many ideas for this space, it has to be amazing, cause when not I don`t get paid;)
    This sign looks beautiful;)
    Nice job!;)

    Lovely greetings...

    http://pudel-design.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet of you!!! it is way more meaningfull than just picking something registred up!!! Great job with this! i love it!

    love K

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great gift this is! AND I LOVE that book that you took the quote from -- I still have it and my youngest kids are 21!

    ReplyDelete